Sunday 6 June 2010

More weather whinges

The blasting hot season seems to have come to an end. Now we have days of cloud cover and “some” rain, but the weather is still not as it should be.

Again, yesterday as everything darkened and the temperature dropped, I was fooled into finding a strategic position to watch a downpour that never came. It did rain a little, but there was nothing satisfying about it. It didn’t cleanse and calm the city (or me) with its coolness, because when it doesn’t rain enough, all you get afterwards is steaminess. Sun showers are common these days too, which people here describe as two Gods in the sky. And the rain is so scattered. If there’s a shower and I ask someone at work about it the next day, even though they live in a nearby district it’s likely they didn’t get any rain.

To summarise, this rainy season is yet to have any conviction.


I don’t know how to take a photo of my discontent with the weather, so here’s something unrelated and more cheerful. I reckon I see a new poster around town every week, and when there’s nothing to commemorate or celebrate, you’ll just get some stirring words and a general reminder to follow Uncle Ho’s example. I like the colours and composition of this one, and the use of the lotus petals to frame the great man. Is it just me, or is the military fellow in green a little more prominent than the other citizens?

No comments: