Sunday 25 April 2010

Little Birds and Mangosteens














Another Sunday and it’s too damn hot. When will it rain? I’m dreaming of that steaming concrete smell and streams of water pouring off corrugated iron roofs. The rainy season should begin in the next few weeks, let’s hope.

Luckily I have some good food to console me. It’s easy to know what fruit’s in season here, just look at what’s in the back of the baskets of vendors cruising the city. Now it’s my favourite, mangosteens. Prise them open to enjoy the segments of sweet, juicy, iridescent white flesh.

And tonight, little birds fried in butter, as my friend called them, or Chim Cut Chien Bo. They may be quails or something similar. They were also sweet, juicy and the perfect size for eating with your fingers. I ended up with quite a pile of little bones in front of me.

No comments: